The Fool's Song
- Ecclesiastes 7:5 “It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools.”
My first year in evangelism, I preached my first revival at a church in southern Texas. One night I felt led of God to preach on music. I challenged the church to “prove all things” (I Thess. 5:21) with their music. Afterwards, one of the head guys in the church angrily approached, and exclaimed, “You expect me to sift through all of my Elvis, Beatles, etc… music?!” I replied, “Yes, God does!” “But I have hundreds of tapes!” For him, he apparently thought it better to hear the song of fools than to be rebuked by the wisdom of God’s Word and God’s preacher. And needless to say, although the pastor was in support of us, that meeting did not go well with a number of people in the church.
- If God mentions “the song of fools”, there must be songs from fools. Do you know how to determine what a fool’s song is? Well, we previously gave some truths in “Music’s Boundaries”. But you can also determine the fool’s song by learning what a fool is in scripture.
- – Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1 “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.” If you’ll notice in your Bible, “there is” is italicized meaning those words are implied in the verse but they are not in the original text. The fools of today outwardly say, “There is no God. I am an atheist/agnostic. There is only the Big Bang, evolution, and death.” Yet, on the inside, God knows that “there is” is not what they are saying. The fools are really saying, “No God.” A fool’s song is rebellious. A fool’s song ignores God’s existence.
– Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1 “They are corrupt, they have done abominable works…” A fool’s song is full of corrupt words, thoughts, and feelings. Their lifestyles and songs enjoy and endorse abominable works like sodomy, fornication, lying, etc… A fool’s song is full of lust, not God’s love.
– Proverbs 14:9 “Fools make a mock at sin:” The fool kids and jokes about sin like the lewd innuendos used in most TV shows and movies today. A fool’s song makes light of church, of divorce, of holiness, etc….
– Proverbs 10:23 “It is as sport to a fool to do mischief:” Sinning is a game to the fool. Fools’ songs make sin look fun and enjoyable.
There is much more that can be said of the fool from the Bible, but the reader can understand what a fool’s song is with just these verses. Rock, pop, country, rap, easy listening, acid rock, etc… are all songs of fools. They reject God in their words, works, songs, and lives. Their lifestyles are filthy and abominable. To the average secular musician, life is but a game lived to its fullest and the words of their songs speak this. Friend, you have no business listening to the song of fools. If this comes as a rebuke to what you listen to, I hope you heed it well.