Test: After the Spirit or the Flesh? Pt. 1
Romans 8:5 “For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.”
Tests are very helpful at revealing to us what we know and don’t know. Through tests, we learn where we are at spiritually, mentally, physically, etc…. Please answer the following questions carefully to see where you are at spiritually. Remember, there are only two answers. God judges everything and everyone as either good or evil (Eccl. 12:14); right or wrong. There is no gray, no middle ground, no lukewarm (Rev. 3:16). God’s prophet Elijah asked in I Kings 18:21, “How long halt ye between two opinions?” He didn’t ask for 3 or more! There are, biblically, only two options to these questions. From our text, Rom. 8:5, we ask, Are you “after the flesh” or “after the Spirit”?
– What criteria do you use to determine what you watch on TV?
– What criteria determines the music you listen to?
– What makes you laugh? How do you consider a joke a good one?
– What is your criteria for choosing where you eat?
– What criteria determines what books, toys, games, etc… come into your home?
– What determines what you wear?
– What determines where you vacation?
– What determines what you eat? And how much?
– What is the criteria for attending church? Which church? And how often?
– What determines what you say every day?
– What gets you excited? What do you enjoy?
– What takes most of your time?
– If a sodomy relationship is portrayed in your entertainment or a cuss word is said or God’s name is taken in vain or a bedroom scene is shown, what is
– What kind of video games do you/your children play?
– Do you sing in church? Do you say ‘Amen’? Do you use your church’s altar for making decisions and praying?
– What rules do you follow for money? Debt? Credit cards? Mortgages? Savings? What do you spend your money on?
– Who do you spend most of your time with?
– How much time does God get with you every day? Praying? Reading the Bible? Church?
(Find out how you did in Pt. 2!)