Hygiene, Cleanliness, Sanitization
Throughout the Pentateuch, God listed normal methods of hygiene, cleanliness, and sanitation. At least 83 verses mention the importance of “washing.” 7 verses mention “running water.” And a couple of verses mention “soap.”
If infectious disease was apparent, God also gave commands and regulations for increased cleanliness, hygiene, and sanitation.
#1 – When someone was contagious, God commanded them and whatever they touched to be washed as well as those exposed to them. Leviticus 15 goes into great detail about this.
#2 – After a person or dwelling or object was cleansed of disease, God mandated washing the objects again and also using “hyssop” for sanitation since it is resistant to pests and disease.
- Lev. 13:58 “And the garment, either warp, or woof, or whatsoever thing of skin it be, which thou shalt wash, if the plague be departed from them, then it shall be washed the second time, and shall be clean.”
- Le 14:48 “And if the priest shall come in, and look upon it, and, behold, the plague hath not spread in the house, after the house was plaistered: then the priest shall pronounce the house clean, because the plague is healed.
- 49 And he shall take to cleanse the house two birds, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop:”
- Numbers 19:18 “And a clean person shall take hyssop, and dip it in the water, and sprinkle it upon the tent, and upon all the vessels, and upon the persons that were there, and upon him that touched a bone, or one slain, or one dead, or a grave:”
- Psalm 51:7 “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.”
#3 – If the infected object or dwelling cannot be cleansed (i.e. black mold), it was to be removed and destroyed. Leviticus 14 goes into much detail for contaminated dwellings.
- Leviticus 13:57 “And if it appear still in the garment, either in the warp, or in the woof, or in any thing of skin; it is a spreading plague: thou shalt burn that wherein the plague is with fire.
Again, it is important we get God’s infallible wisdom on everything, and live as He recommends and commands. God knows FAR more than man.