- Proverbs 8:14 “Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.”
The MOST IMPORTANT counsel in the universe is GOD’S. As we just read in Prov. 8:14, true counsel and wisdom originates from God. “Counsel is mine.” “I am understanding.” (It is exciting to read God’s “I Am’s!”)
God repeatedly reminds us in His Word that His counsel cannot change or be overthrown.
- Hebrews 6:17 “Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:”
- Proverbs 19:21 “There are many devices in a man’s heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.”
- Psalms 33:11 “The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.”
Man’s counsel, however, will come to nought:
- Acts 5:38 “And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:
- 39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.”
God’s counsel is found in His Word, the Bible:
- Psalms 119:24 “Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counsellors.”
With all of this in mind, then, dear reader, why do we rarely seek counsel from God?
- Psalms 106:13 “They soon forgat his works; they waited not for his counsel:”
What your marriage and parenting needs, dear reader, is God’s Word. I don’t enter eateries with bars because of specific verses from God’s Word. I parent my kids based upon specific verses of God’s word that I can find and quote. I love my wife in specific ways based upon specific verses of scripture found in God’s Word. And every Christian must do the same. Whatever counsel comes into your life, dear reader, must always be supported by specific verses found in God’s Word.