Subject: Advice about Being Mistreated
You have discussed the numerous times you have been mistreated throughout your life. As you are aware of my recent trials, what advice would you give about being mistreated?
Thank you for asking for my advice. I don’t have the answers, but I know the Bible does so I’ll give you some verses!
#1 Endure the mean words, lies, false witness, etc… like Jesus did: a genuine smile, patience, no guile or mean words, and no lashing back.
- I Peter 2:19 “For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.
- 20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. 21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
- 22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
- 23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:”
So much good stuff in those verses! I suggest you really meditate on each of them slowly.
#2 Endear these same people to your heart like God does to all of us every day!
- Mt 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
- 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
- 46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
- 47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?”
#3 Encourage yourself in the Lord. (Stay away from what others are saying about you; Only think about positive, godly things Phil. 4:8; when discouraged quote or read Scripture; play encouraging music, etc….)
- I Samuel 30:6 “And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.”
#4 Envision what Jesus went through for you, and never forget it. Otherwise, you’ll get “wearied” (discouraged) and “faint” in your mind (the battlefield is often our thoughts).
- Hebrews 12:2 “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- 3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.”
#5 Empower yourself in, through, and by Jesus. It is impossible to love as God loves and forgive as God forgives without Jesus!
- John 15:5 “without me ye can do nothing.”
- Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”
All of these things I regularly do when it comes to the various people in my life. People are such people! I like what former President George W. Bush said, “Too often we judge other people by their worst examples; too often we judge ourselves by our best intentions.”
Hope this helps!